Monday, April 23, 2012

My experience with the 3D shoot

This was the first time I have ever shot in 3D.  I have read a lot about it online, especially in DSLR forums and such, since its so easy to do with them.  All in all, it was surprisingly easy, even though I really don't like 3D.  I hope this ease of production does not lend to an increase in terrible 3D movies, because that would be terrible for the art of film as whole.
That being said, it was fun to do.  It is always fun to build things out of cardboard, I guess, especially a robot costume with a large penis.  This was probably the weirdest thing I have ever filmed in my life, which I consider a good thing.  I am always looking to film odd things, so this really worked for me.  Katie and Nate did a great job acting considering the interesting situation they were placed in.  They were good sports about it.  I think it will come out really well.  We tried some handheld shots, though, and I am not sure about how that will look.  Of course, we had to secure the 2 cameras to an apple box with a lot of tape, then I held the apple box like it was some sort of Steadicam or something.  It should be interesting to see how those shots look, but from the preliminary analysis, they look pretty good.
Post-production might be a different story though.  I am not big on After Effects or any post-production really.  I am a big fan of realism, and I really don't like heavy special effects movies.  So, this will be a new experience for me.  Luckily, I do like to learn new things about technology, so I am happy about that.  Also, it really doesn't seem that hard to do at all.  It is actually pretty awesome that we have the ability to do all the post-production "in house" at UNCW.  You would think that there would be some epic computer necessary to render 3D imagery, but really I could do it on my laptop in a few hours.  Technology is pretty awesome.
However, even though this project was fun, I never really want to shoot in 3D again.  It is still just a gimmick to me, and I think it detracts from narrative and cinematography.  I will stick to realistic lighting and handheld camera work.

No comments:

Post a Comment