Monday, March 26, 2012

Experience with the long take shoot

This semester has really cemented my appreciation for film, that is, celluloid (not the major).  Through this class and cinematography, I have gotten more exposure to shooting on film, and I really have enjoyed it all.  Hopefully this summer I will shoot my honors narrative on 16mm, so all the practice I can get it great.  
The long take shoot this Saturday was a lot of fun.  My group completely changed our shot right from what we had planned, but it definitely turned out better than what we had thought up.  Once we got to campus and saw that it was completely packed with prospective students, we wanted to take advantage of the crowds.  However, by the time it was our turn to shoot, they had all dispersed and campus was left deserted.  Thus, we took advantage of the emptiness, and the fact that the fountain in between Morton and Leutze was actually running, probably to impress the prospective students.  Chris kindly volunteered to get soaking wet, and we formed our long take's plot around this idea.  Stacey did a great job operating the camera, and I tried my hardest to channel my inner purse thief and provide a believable performance.  Everything went surprisingly smoothly, and I think we got the exposure right on.  That was probably a combination of luck and skill in both the shooting and development processes.  Hopefully the post-production will go just as well.  I already have some ideas for the sound design, and am looking forward to seeing the image at the right speed and reversing the negative.
It was pretty amazing to see everything actually work out for everyone.  No one made any real mistakes, at least none that affected their final product.  The whole class worked together well and answered each others questions, when they came up.  For the most part, everyone seemed pretty educated about the process and willing to contribute the best they could.  I think all the groups had great ideas that translated well into the long takes.  Probably most impressive to me was how properly exposed everyones image was.  I was nervous about how it would turn out, particularly because the cloud cover was rapidly changing throughout the day.  I suppose film is pretty hard to overexpose though.  I doubt we could've done that with a video camera and no light meter/monitor.  All in all, it was a fun experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment