Monday, March 19, 2012

My Experiences with Film


I learned a lot from this assignment.  Mainly, it was a serious learning experience to watch hand drawn animations translate into actual visual movements.  The whole time I was doing it I really had no idea what to expect.  I didn't quite know how long to extend movements/how quick to make things rotate, etc.  Even with the keyframe drawings and trying to think in terms of 24 frames per second, I still had some trouble trying to understand just what it would look like when projected.  That being said, I think I timed mine out pretty well.  They could have lasted a little longer I guess, but there was a certain ethereal quality about the speed/image relationship that was mysterious.  You couldn’t quite tell what anything was, and that was definitely part of the allure.  Also, random chance seemed to play a role as well.  I am sure that many “experts” at these techniques meticulously plan out their work, but I like the serendipitous aspect.  For example, the magazine transfer turned out cooler the second time I did it.  The first time, in class, I tried to choose images that I thought would look good together.  In the end, it all went by so fast it didn’t even matter.  Then, the second time, I just sort of cut out cool looking parts of the magazine and layed them out randomly.  It ended up better than the first experiment.
If I could do this all over again, I would incorporate more rayogram stuff.  I think that turned out the coolest.  It also was the most intensive and/or difficult part.  There are a lot of extra things you need rather than just film and a paper clip, for example, chemicals and a dark room.  Scratching on top of the rayograms really added a lot of depth.  More or less, it seemed like the more techniques added on top of each other in layers, the cooler and more complex the image turned out.  I really liked the part I animated, not because of my animation, but because I painted the film behind it.  First, I used tape to mask it, then painted on either side of the tape with different colors.  It ended up being a pretty neat and dynamic background.  However, I’m sure there are times when you could add too many elements to the image.  That being said, I would like to try again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment